Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Morning Meeting Basics

Morning meeting is one of my favorite parts of the day. Students have the opportunity to work together, support each other, and become a member of our classroom community. Also, it is a great opportunity to spiral different concepts in a fun way.

In my classroom morning meeting takes place from 9:10-9:30am. Morning meeting has four main components: morning meeting, share, activity, and morning message. I use the Morning Meeting Book by Roxann Kriete as a guide for structuring morning meeting.

Here are some resources I use to help with planning morning meeting greetings and activities:

The First Six Weeks
*This pack includes character education posters, morning meeting activity cards, and morning meeting greeting cards.

 KaBoom!
*This pack has five Kaboom! game labels ready to print and use. My students LOVE KaBoom! so this is a quick and easy way to spiral concepts. We play KaBoom! money, sight words, addition, and subtraction.

For the share portion of morning meeting I create a daily share schedule. Each child knows the day they get to share (no items, they just share one event). This keeps it easy and students know what to expect. One student is in charge of the share chart and they announce whose turn it is to share and counts questions/comments (each child gets three comments/questions during their share).

Finally, for the morning message portion of the meeting students read the message (written on the white board) and correct errors related to our language skills or word study skills for the week. This year I think I will create the morning messages in power point so that I can edit the document for next year.

Morning meeting is a great way to build classroom culture as well as start the day with a fun learning activity which invests students. If you have any resources you use with morning meeting, link it below so I can check it out!

 photo Signature_zps041e8ce3.png

No comments:

Post a Comment