Monday, July 20, 2015

Making Morning Work Count

Over the next few weeks I'm going to share some of the strategies I use during the school day. First things first... morning work! When my students arrive, I want every minute to count. Here are the resources/ways I structure the first twenty-five minutes of my day.

Students are coming in at different times from 8:45-9:10am. In this time, they need to get a variety of things accomplished. Here is a list of my second graders morning responsibilities.

1. Hang up coat/back pack
2. Check for notes/homework in morning meeting folder
3. Complete five common core spiraled math problems
4. Read or write (book shop if it is their share day)

At 9:10am, we go over the morning work problems together and students are responsible for checking their work! This holds them accountable without adding additional grading for me to do daily. They enjoy grading their papers and take pride in getting all or most of the problems right. They love the immediate feedback. Here is the resource I use for my morning work. When I taught first grade, I used the first grade level and it was fantastic as well. Both first and second grade editions are rigorous and ready to use!

Daily Math Practice, Grade 2 by Evan Moor
*You can also purchase a PDF version of this resource.


Even though this book is not from our math curriculum, I love how it presents the material in a slightly different way challenging my students to apply their knowledge learned during our math workshop. I find that students are able to make connections to what we have already learned and love solving the challenging problems. The book follows the general sequence of skills introduced in a typical second grade math curriculum and is aligned to the common core standards. I copy enough days for one month at a time. Each student is responsible for keeping track of their monthly morning work packet in their desk. This saves times, keeps their papers organized, and helps eliminate day-to-day copying. I would love to hear how you utilize your morning to make the most of student learning! Leave a link below and I will check it out.

Happy planning!

 photo Signature_zps041e8ce3.png



No comments:

Post a Comment