Saturday, September 6, 2014

Math Stations

So I've been trying to decide the best way to utilize math stations in second grade without piling up my work load. I've decided to do something similar to Daily 5 and Math Daily 3, but with my own twist. Here is the foundation of my 2nd grade math stations:

Weekly 4 Math Stations

Math Puzzles
Math Games
Math Task Cards
Math Facts

Each child will do one of the weekly 4 each day. I will keep the same activity in the tub for two weeks. Because the general activity stays the same, but the content or rigor changes it will be easy for students to transition to a new 2 week cycle without spending a lot of time on procedures and directions for each center.

For math puzzles, I created this awesome resource which I will use through December. Then I plan to make a complementary product using subtraction. Click the picture or grab it HERE!

I created 11 math puzzles, one for each number 10-20. They have to decide if the math fact is less than, more than, or equal to the given number. I also included math talk cards for students to practice using academic language.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Addition-Math-Puzzles-Numbers-10-20-1433539

Here is how I am going to use this product in my classroom! I'm SO excited to start on Monday.

Here are all my supplies (this is a black and white product so we don't kill our color ink supply, just pick some fun colored paper).


Make sure you write the puzzle number on the back of your math fact cards incase the kiddos mix them up (and you know they will haha).


I grabbed this cute school themed cardstock on clearance and knew I'd find something fun to do with it. I used it as the background for the math talk cards that I am going to post above this center to use all year long.


You can always use new containers! I've been dying to have a good reason to buy these square containers and my math stations were the ticket (you know that the store I went to only have one of the particular size I wanted... I got one and am hoping they get more in stock haha). I'm taping the directions on top of the container as they will stay the same all year, but the rigor of the puzzle will change.


Here is my first puzzle laminated and cut out! It literally only took me 5 minutes to get it ready!


Look how nice it looks all put away! #happyteacher


Be on the look out for the other math stations! I'll keep you posted on how I use it in my classroom. If you have great ideas for math stations leave a link in the comments below and I'll check it out!
 photo Signature_zps041e8ce3.png

No comments:

Post a Comment