Monday, August 25, 2014

The Weekly Scoop: Back to School!

Hello everyone! Well it turns out I wasn't very good at the back to school countdown posting. I was keeping busy, but wanted to show you the progress that has been made in a few short weeks!

I like to keep my room simple and let my students add their personality to it so in the next few weeks I'll add a tour page to my blog for your enjoyment (or to steal ideas... that is what I like to do ;-))!

So this week is back to school. Here is what my second graders will be learning!

Character Education: Citzenship (I'll be using The First Six Weeks resource I created and the book suggestions).

Word Study: My kiddos will be review short vowels this week using the awesome new resource shown below (click to grab) and I will be giving the primary spelling inventory.

This resource includes posters for all the short vowels with example words. I also included plan posters for students to brainstorm words. There is a fun vowel graphing activity and a word sort for each short vowel.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Short-Vowel-Review-Posters-Activites-MORE-1409399




Reading: I'm launching the Daily 5 tomorrow! You can see I'm also doing CAFE (aren't those posters below cute, you can get them FREE here.) Yes, I laminated them tonight. Haha.

Writing: I'm launching writer's workshop this week using Lucy Calkin's program. The first day we are going to write about our first day jitters using the resource provided here.

Math: This week we are learning our math routines and taking the placement test. I'm also starting to teach math tubs. My first day we are using this fun roll and cover you can grab FREE here.

During science and social studies time, I will be teaching procedures, procedures, procedures and brushing up on my whole brain teaching!! "Class, yes!" (If you haven't heard of whole brain teaching, YouTube it. Seriously, it will change your life.)

Morning Meeting: I use responsive classroom techniques and will be teaching my children a proper handshake for the greeting and we will be playing shape match found here.

Also, all the extra activities I am doing are in this awesome MEGA pack. You can see the banner project I do on day one that can be grabbed here.

Here are some pictures of my classroom and projects I talked about above.



I'm "moo"ving into 2nd with my students this year and I can't wait! Post a link to your back to school post so I can check it out!!
 photo Signature_zps041e8ce3.png

No comments:

Post a Comment