Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Book Talk Tuesday!

It's Tuesday and I'm linking up with Deanna Jump to talk about books. Last week I shared a handful of my favorite books. This week I'm going to share one book and different ways you can use it in your classroom during the first six weeks of school (Yes, can you believe I'm already thinking about heading back to school?!).

One of my favorite authors and illustrators is Audrey Wood (she also wrote The Napping House). She wrote a book called Rude Giants. >>>click the picture to grab the book on amazon<<<

http://www.amazon.com/Rude-Giants-Audrey-Wood/dp/0152694129/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403011193&sr=8-1&keywords=rude+giants


This book is about two rude giants who stumble upon a milk maid and her cow. The giants want to eat the milk maid's cow, but the she insists they have to have a clean house to enjoy the meal. It continues with the milk maid slowly teaching them all kinds of manners. At the end, the Giants decide it wouldn't be right to eat her cow.

The kids think the book is SO funny, but it also opens an opportunity for several things:

-Discussion on classroom norms
-Discussion on classroom manners
-Discussion on why manners are important
-Book connections with other Audrey Wood books

Throughout the year, I continue to go back to this book because the children are always asking me to read it again. When I reread it, I use it as an opportunity to connect with the reading strategy we may be learning (making inferences, connections, retelling, etc.) I even bought a second copy because it was such a hit in the classroom library.

I always teach a poem of the week for shared reading. I try to connect the poem to what we are learning in science, social studies, or themes. At the beginning of school, I use a lot of character education poems. I could not find the author of this popular poem, but here is the poem!

If you would like a copy of the poem, leave your email address in the comments and I'll send it to you!

 I have students glue the poem into the left side of their notebook and respond to the poem on the right side of the notebook. Depending on the age of the student, they can respond with pictures or words. Usually for this activity, I let the students draw a picture modeling good manners in the classroom and emphasize adding labels. They use their poetry notebook during daily 5 for the rest of the year going back to this familiar read (and the other poems we learn) to build fluency!

I'm looking forward to reading everyone else's link up posts! To link up, click the picture below.


http://mrsjumpsclass.blogspot.com/2014/06/thanks-to-everyone-who-linked-up.html?showComment=1403010967636#c5696521973194580555

 photo Signature_zps041e8ce3.png

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE Audrey Wood's books. My students enjoy Silly Sally, King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, and the Big Hungry Bear stories.
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students LOVE the Big Hungry Bear stories! We listen to it on CD over and over!
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete